Former Catholic church of Agios Ioannis and now the Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation in Mandraki according to Metropolis of Rhodes is the reconstruction of the old monastery church of the Knights which was destroyed in 1856, the eruption of large amounts of gunpowder, forgotten in the basement of by chivalrous times.
In the early 1930s the architect Pietro Lojacono made excavations in the area where the old chivalrous Temple was. The hypothetical reconstruction of the Temple in Mandraki by Lojacono essentially based on engravings of Rottiers (1828), and secondarily in written sources, on the results of excavations and plans of Flandin (1853). An engraving of Rottiers The interior of the church with three naves be supported by four pillars on each side, some of them with ancient capitals and in the background the transept of the church and a chapel with vaults. As pointed out by the Lojacono area measuring plan forms a Latin cross. The widening of the presbytery and adding chapels date back to later periods.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.